Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Monday, September 18, 2006

Catching Up and Moving On

Belly Dancing and a Movie was fun. The belly dancer wasn't fabulous, but I didn't really expect her to be. The movie was basically funny, but it's a difficult subject for me. We watched "Just Friends" which is about a fat guy getting rejected by the girl of his dreams who is also his "best friend." 10 years later, he's moved, gotten a great job, slimmed down, become really athletic, is very good looking and ends up back in his small town. I hope I'm not giving away too much of the plot, but they end up together. Let me tell you, it feels great to sit there and have it confirmed that you don't deserve love because you're fat. Yeah, yeah, he turned into a jerk after he was in shape and had to become the nice guy again. But if he'd shown up as the same nice fat guy, he wouldn't have been loved any more than he had been in high school. Anyway...

The Polyglot fell in love with the Turkish place. He is determined to go there for lunch every Saturday...as we did the very day after BDAM. The owner and wait staff love him (but who doesn't?).

I took He Tells Jokes to see a movie Saturday afternoon because The Doctor was sick and he needed to get out of the house. Then I rented a the new "Pride and Prejudice" and watched it with her.

I was beat on Sunday and never left the house. I'm a bad girl.

...on with the future.

My newest favoritest show starts tonight! I should have blogged about it earlier. "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. " It's by the same writer who did "Sports Night." It stars Matthew Perry, Bradley Whitford and Amanda Peet, among others. It's supposed to be the a look behind the scenes at an SNL-like show. I can't wait for it to air tonight at 10 on NBC. This guy, Aaron Sorkin, is seriously the most talented writer ever to hit the airwaves. He also wrote "The West Wing," "The American President" and "A Few Good Men. " So he's got some cred.

Work is going well. I was a tad bit nervous today because the guy who hired me asked me to help me with a part of the program that I have never used before. And even though I should have studied up on it because I knew he was going to ask for help today, I didn't. As it turned out, I was able to figure it out within a short amount of time. No problem. My experience in other areas of the program really helped me get through it.

Very exciting news! Premiere League Football has started. I decided a while ago to root for Arsenal. It was basically between them and Chelsea, but since Chelsea have been so dominant over the last couple of years, I felt like I was just jumping on the bandwagon by supporting them.

So I went with the third or fourth place Arsenal. Mainly due to Thierry Henry, Jens Lehmann and the rumors that they were going to sign Franck Ribery (which didn't happen). Anyway, the season has started and Arsenal went up against a team that has long been a powerhouse in the EPL - Manchester United (players include Wayne Rooney and Cristiano "watch me dive" Ronaldo). Guess what?!?!?

Arsenal BEAT Man U 1-0!! I know, I know. 1-0 doesn't sound very exciting. Honestly, I didn't see the match. But I'm stoked that my team came through in such a big game. It makes me even more desparate to find a way to watch the EPL over here in non-soccer-friendly America.

I leave you now with some of Aaron Sorkin's greatest quotes:

"My name is Andrew Shepherd and I *am* the President." - The American President

...yeah, the rest of these are gonna be from Sports Night...

"
If you're dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you're smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." - Isaac Jaffe, Sports Night

Dana: You have good ideas a lot. I find myself saying, 'Natalie's got a good idea.'
Natalie:
But you also find yourself saying 'Natalie, if you screw that up again I'll set you on fire.'
Dana:
That's true too, and yet it's the good idea thing that I'm focusing on right now.

Jeremy:
Look at me. I'm not lying to you. I have a straight.
Natalie:
How do you know I don't have a big house?
Jeremy:
A FULL house. Dan already folded the six you needed, and I have the other one. You don't have a house of any sort, you don't have a pup tent. You've got trip sevens, and I have a straight. I want you to trust me right now. I want you to say to yourself, yeah, I've dated a string of jerks in my life, they were stupid, they were mean to me, but maybe this one's different. Maybe I should take a chance and not adopt the break-up-with-him-before-he-breaks-my-heart strategy. I want you to remember that when I started liking you, I didn't stop liking tennis. And I want you to know that I don' t think there's a woman in the world that you need to be threatened by, no matter how glamorous you think she is. But mostly, I want you to trust me, just once, when I tell you you have three sevens, and I have a straight.

Issac: Dana, the things that I say in my office, stay in my office.
Dana:
Natalie's my second-in-command, she's the only one I told.
Natalie:
Jeremy's my boyfriend, he's the only one I told.
Jeremy:
I told many many people.

Dan:
You're nineteen feet tall. Why are you wearing heels?
Sally:
Are you feeling diminuitive?
Dan:
No, but now I have to look up that word.

...and I'll finish with one of my Danny's rants about ... soccer - cause he was so funny.

Dan: I know we promised you soccer highlights, so let me just tell you that Columbus beat Miami one-nothing, Dallas beat San Jose one-nothing, Chicago beat Colorado one-nothing, and New England beat Kansas City two-one in an offensive slugfest. A modest proposal: make the nets bigger.

4 Comments:

Blogger Alan said...

Turkish lunch was delightful: the food, the staff, the coffee, the language, everything. It's now my Saturday tradition. I'm SO learning Turkish (sorry, Russian, Cantonese, German, Inuktitut, Swahili, Punjabi, Urdu, Spanish, Yapese, Korean, Italian, Navajo, Oromo, and Persian; you're on the backburner for now). I love that place

10:10 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth Escalante said...

I've missed 'Sunset' so far... must remember to add it to my automatic DVR recordings.


You posted my favorite Jeremy speech. :-)

**sigh**

9:39 AM  
Blogger Horse N. Buggy said...

That's funny Bookie, 'cause I actually thought the dialogue was kinda slow. I'm used to lots of walking and quick quick quick one-liners. I guess there weren't a whole lot of one-liners in last night's script. I'll post more of my impressions later.

12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liked the SN quotes..it must've been a good show cause just reading them was funny & i don't even know anything about characters, dynamics, etc.

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home