Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

16 Miles the Long Way

Monday morning, I got a little lost coming in to the new office.  I left my house at 7:00.  I passed the main road that I was supposed to turn on about 18 minutes into my journey.  The trip is only about 8 minutes longer after that turn.  Traffic was horrendous going the other direction so I decided not to turn around.  I kept going to another road and almost doubled my trip.  Then I realized that I was not where I thought I was the whole time.  I thought I was on a numbered route, but that road turned much earlier than the road I'd missed.  So technically, there was an even shorter way to get there - even if I had made my turn.  I got to the office around 7:43.
 
So I came home the "real" way.  I left at 5:30.  I didn't get home until 6:30.  The "real" way is a one lane road under heavy construction.  I decided not to do that again.
 
Tuesday morning, I left my house at 7:30.  I went the "real" way.  I got stuck in three school zones.  I didn't get to the office until 8:30.  I decided not to go that way at that time again.
 
Tuesday evening, I left at 4:40.  I went home the mistaken way I'd come on Monday (well, the shorter version of it).  I got home at 5:30.
 
This morning I left my house at 6:57 (in the rain).  I modified the first day route by taking what I thought was a shortcut.  Nope.  That shortcut road was one lane and I got stuck behind someone doing 30 mph and hugging the right shoulder.  I got to the office at 7:35.  Not bad, but I think I can do better.  I am really hoping that the rain caused some delays.  I don't want to leave my house at 6:30.  But if I do, at least that's 30 minutes later than at the last job. 
 
But here's some exciting stuff...  This place really does only want you to put in 8 hour days!  My last job had this weird policy that you had to work 8.5 hours Monday - Thursday and then 8 hours on Friday.  The shortest lunch you could take was 30 minutes.  So if I got to the office at 6:30 and took a 30 minute lunch, I could leave at 3:30.  Here, they will let you work through lunch.  I can come in at 7:30, work through lunch and leave at 3:30.  That's an hour "earned" out of my day (and night)!
 
Welp, back to work.


Use Messenger to talk to your IM friends, even those on Yahoo! Talk now!

4 Comments:

Blogger Affable Olive said...

Are those advertisements at the ends of the posts?

Anyway, sounds kinda like a race to get to work. I'm always looking for longer ways to get places around here, but somehow, everything is 10 minutes away. Too bad it's not that way up on that side of town.

Wow, my word verf. is interesting. "mikki"-- ALmost a name.

5:28 PM  
Blogger Horse N. Buggy said...

Ads? Yes. I've started posting by sending email from my hotmail account. My hotmail tacks on ads to the end of each message. I didn't think about the ads when I started posting through email. I just wanted to have a way to post from my new office without actually hitting the blogger site. No need to get caught surfing when I'm just shooting off a quick update.

8:17 PM  
Blogger Affable Olive said...

So you CAN post from e-mail! My e-mail works far better than blogger at my "job." Do you have to pay for that?

9:37 PM  
Blogger Alan said...

No. I do it too. You just have to make sure it's formatted the way you want and stuff...

8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home