Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Too Tired to Post

I wanted write about some of the funny things that have happened in service over the past couple of days. But I can't put my thoughts together to make them funny enough. Some of them aren't really, uh, chaste enough to talk about here.

You know how a kind older person will say something that has a sexual connotation and not even realize it? Well, that happened today in the car. I didn't catch it, but Li'l J did. He successfully controlled his laughter but replayed the moment for me when Brother Seersucker was out of the car. He could barely control his laughter when he was repeating the comment to me. It was funny. But I won't repeat it here.

I can tell you a different Brother Seersucker story:
On Monday while we were doing phone witnessing, Frau Adorable was leaving a message on an answering machine. Brother Seersucker had been quietly hunting a fly in the background. After Frau Adorable finished her message but before she was able to hang the phone up, Br. Seersucker slammed the fly with a rolled up newspaper (making a really loud whacking noise) and said, "I got him!" He knew that she was finished with her message, but didn't realize that she had not hung up the phone yet. Frau Adorable and I cracked up wondering how that would sound on the answering machine, if it even picked it up.

At 6:00 this evening, there were too many of us to fit into one car, but we were afraid that if we split up both cars wouldn't have enough to keep going. So we did more phone witnessing. It was fun. After one Monday session, I considered myself a "pro" and was helping the young sister in our group figure out what to say. Kimi Stewart jumped in with both feet even though she said it had been a little while since she had done it. Of course, Br. Seersucker got the really good call. He found someone who wanted to talk for hours. He would have done so, too. But he had to conduct the bookstudy at 7:30, so it was only a 25 minute conversation. He's really facinating to listen to. He comes at things from such a unique perspective. I have never heard any of the reasoning points that he uses. He reminds me of a brother from my "home" congregation who was always asking interesting questions. Which reminds me that I will have to steal one of that brother's reasoning points to share with Br. Seersucker. Yay! I can make it seem as if I have deep thoughts!

Anyway, I'm tired ... so this is all you're getting.

4 Comments:

Blogger Affable Olive said...

Glad you're having a good time in service. I always do

9:53 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth Escalante said...

I'm glad, too. :-)

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me three.

Haven't done phone witnessing in for-ev-er.

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in too!

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home