Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Friday, July 28, 2006

Real Friends, Old and New

This is going to be a goofy post where I try to say something deep, but don't quite communicate it as well as I'd like. Be forewarned.

A couple of things have occurred at work recently to remind me of just how long I've worked there and known some of the people. I've been there 12 years this summer. One of the men I've known for 12 years is finally leaving the company. He's not someone I see on a daily basis. But we formed a solid friendship when I first joined the company and have grown to really respect each other in the ensuing years. (He's got this kind of friendship with lots of people in the office.) Today is his last day and I'm sad that I'll never see him in the hallway again.

Along those same lines, I had a nice chat with Jules yesterday about old friends. There are some really great people that I've known for years, but have lost touch with. It makes me sad that I can't find enough time to fit in meaningful friendships with all the people I like and respect. Thankfully, this blog has allowed me to keep in touch with a few people who could have easily (and very shamefully) fallen by the wayside. I know this is all just a part of life, but it still feels like it shouldn't be so easy to lose touch with people.

Conversely, I'm blown away by how many cool people I've met over that last 10 months. I honestly thought that I pretty much knew everyone there was to know in this city. (You know what I mean.) But between building significant relationships with my nephews and making so many wonderful new friends, my life has been very full and enriched.

See what I mean? I wanted this to be deep, but it's just been obvious - I miss my old friends who I don't see anymore and I really like my new friends. Gee, thanks for the groundbreaking discoveries, HnB.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home