Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Friday, January 04, 2008

Not Safe for Work

So, the coworker who sits next to me brought in his adorable, not quite three year old daughter in to work today.  The coworker on the other side of him spent quite a bit of the day entertaining her.  At some point I heard the little girl say something about soccer.  (Her dad also likes to watch soccer.)  I remembered that I have a small Chuck E. Cheese soccer ball left over from another coworker, so I took it in to show it to the little girl.  She lit up and we started playing soccer in the hallway.

I knew I couldn't play soccer in the hallway for very long.  When I was finished, I sent her in to play with the other coworker.  About 30 minutes before she and her father were due to leave (he works an earlier schedule than the rest of us), the little girl was wandering the hallway with my soccer ball under her arm.  I asked her where she was going.  She said, "To the car."  Obviously, she couldn't go to the car yet.  So I got her attention again and I showed her how to play soccer using your head.  I headed the ball, often into her face.  She was thrilled.  Another coworker came by and we showed him how we could head the ball.  He was duly impressed. 

I decided to give up much earlier this time and told her to go show her Daddy her new trick.  She was going to do that and I turned back around in my chair to continue working.  The ball rolled under my desk and she had to go behind me to get it.  The next thing I heard was a pretty loud thunk.  But there was no crying so I said without turning around, "Don't hit the desk with your head, silly."  I still didn't hear any noise at all.  After about 30 more seconds of quiet, I got scared that she had hit the desk so hard she'd knocked herself out.  I turned around to find her just on the verge of exploding into tears.  It could be that she knocked the wind out of herself and it took that long to recover enough to cry.  Or it could be that she wasn't sure that she was going to cry until I turned around to check on her.  I'm still not sure.  But she sure started wailing.  She almost didn't let me pick her up, but the standard, "Let me take you to see Daddy," got through to her.  By the time I got her into her father's office, two other coworkers had come running to see what the fuss was all about. 

Seriously.  It just didn't sound like that big of a deal.  But after her father got her calmed down (which really didn't take that long), you could see a big red mark under on eye.  She'd run her face into my desk, not just her head.  I have no doubt that she's gonna get a shiner.  But she was so adorable as she was leaving.  I yelled out to him, "Sorry about the black eye!"  She looked at me, dragging a pink Barbie pack back as big as she was, and said, "I feel better now."  HOW ADORABLE!

But, yeah, little girls are Not Safe for Work.

[and now a word from our sponsors...]


Put your friends on the big screen with Windows Vista® + Windows Live™. Start now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home