Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Who is Oohwah?

When I was growing up, I had a lot of imaginary friends. None of them had names that made any sense. I mean, it was like a three year old was naming these people. The one that hung around the most was named Oohwah. Well, that's the phonetic spelling of her name. She never told me how to really spell it. Or if she did, I was three and couldn't remember how to spell it.

About ten or fifteen years ago, I was watching the Olympics. There was an Italian downhill skier named Oowa, a man. It made me laugh. Oohwah did some crazy stuff when I was a kid. But somehow she'd changed herself into a man, taught herself Italian and was skiing in the Olympics! Let me tell you, my imaginary friend was talented.

The thing is...she's never really left my side. Anytime I have a conversation with myself about anything: buying the new house, figuring out what to wear, or making out my grocery list, in the back of my mind, I'm still talking to Oohwah. She doesn't answer back anymore, but she's there, just listening.

So that's pretty much what this blog will be. Me typing to Oohwah and her not commenting back. I don't expect any real live people will read it. But if they do, they're welcome too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home